Welfare Benefits for Asbestos Disease Sufferers

If you have been diagnosed with an asbestos related condition then you may be eligible to apply for certain state benefits.


This is a very brief overview and your eligibility for benefits will depend on the nature of the condition you have been diagnosed with and in the case of some conditions, the level of disability you are caused by the asbestos related condition.

Your specialist asbestos solicitor will be able to assist in respect of any benefits you may be entitled to claim.

You may also wish to contact the charity HASAG who are also able to assist with benefit claims and information.

You may be entitled to apply for some of the following benefits:

Pneumoconiosis (Workers Compensation) Act 1979 lump sum payments

You may be entitled to get a one off lump sum payment from the Government (DWP). This is nothing to do with your civil claim. You may be entitled to a lump sum payment under this Act if you have one of the following conditions: mesothelioma, bilateral diffuse pleural thickening, lung cancer accompanied by asbestosis or bilateral diffuse pleural thickening.


2008 Diffuse Mesothelioma Scheme

The 2008 Diffuse Mesothelioma Scheme operates alongside the Pneumoconiosis (Workers Compensation) Act 1979 scheme and you may be able to claim a lump sum under this scheme if you are not entitled to a lump sum under the pneumoconiosis scheme.


Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit

Usually referred to as ‘IIDB’. IIDB is a benefit paid to those who have become disabled due to suffering from one of a list of ‘prescribed diseases’ or a work accident at work on or after 5th July 1948. The prescribed diseases include, mesothelioma, asbestos-related lung cancer, asbestosis, lung cancer with asbestosis and asbestos related pleural thickening (depending of the level of disability).


Attendance Allowance / Constant Attendance Allowance

If you are over 65 years of age and need help with your personal care, then you may be entitled to this benefit.


Exceptionally Severe Disablement Allowance

If as a result of your condition you require permanent, constant care and attention you may be entitled to this benefit in addition to Constant Attendance Allowance payments.


Personal Independence Payment

Referred to as PIP, this is a benefit for those under 65 who may need assistance with their personal care or who may need to meet extra costs because of a long-term health condition or disability.


War Disablement Pension

You may be entitled to this benefit if you have been exposed to asbestos during your service in her majesty’s armed forces and have been diagnosed with an asbestos related illness. To be eligible for this Pension the asbestos exposure must have occurred before 6th April 2005.

Get in touch

To speak with one of our specialist asbestos compensation claim team,

please call on 023 9244 8100 or make an online enquiry


If you or a family member has been exposed to asbestos, please visit the website of HASAG Asbestos Disease Support for further information and support.

Please click here to be taken to their website.

Contact Us

6 + 5 =


168 London Road                    
North End
Tel: 023 9244 8100


Appletree House
17 St Georges Walk                  

Tel: 023 9224 6666